Sunday 6 March 2016

Oh what now?

It's 11.20am, I still haven't got out of the house, I have been up since before 6am but I can't get out. It's funny how inexplicable anxiety is, how do I put into words something I really can't begin to understand myself? All I know is yesterday I could go out, though I felt anxious, today I feel like my chest is full of rocks and I can't leave the appartment. The knowledge that should spur me on, that I have so little time here and so much to do, does little to quiet this anxiety, it raises it to a cacophony of troubles, and it feels like it's bearing down on me. I know this happens, I know this always happens but it feels a blow. I know I'll get out in the end, but the knowledge that Wellington is just passing me by outside and my brief time here is being wasted makes me want to cry. I feel like a machine that cannot process the command to leave, it does not compute, my being able to go outside and get on with doing things, I feel like I have frozen, my system in lockdown. I feel hard done by quite honestly, I feel like life has dealt me a card I don't want, I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place, and the focus is always on what I CAN do, and what I SHOULD do, and rarely on what I want to do... what DO I want to do? I think more than anything I want life to be more flexible; Can't go out today? It's okay, Wellington's not going anywhere! Want do do 100 things at 2am? That's fine, we'll just stick more hours in the day for you! Not in the right frame of mind to be an adult at the moment? That's alright, the world needs more kids! What on earth do I do with this feeling? I feel some small pathetic misery, a heavy fear settled in my chest, a roaring injustice. I need a pause button on life for when anxiety strikes because there are few things that make me feel just as pitifully helpless as watching time slipping by and not being able to engage. 

3 comments:

  1. Darling Hannah, humongous hugs sweetie 😘😘 Such eloquence knocks me off my feet!! Sorry that you're in such torment, and ok you might miss out on Wellington today, but it might just be your mind, body & soul saying "hang on, I need a break, I've flown halfway round the world, and had so many stimulating experiences yesterday, I need time to process it all". Stop being so hard on yourself, and most important, be kind to yourself, and breathe. Sorry Hannah, this probably isn't any help to you, but I could tell you were in pain, and just wanted to reach out and give you a hug so, hopefully, you don't feel so alone. K xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kath, that was a very helpful and insightful reply and now that I'm back to 'normal', I can see that you are right, I do need time to process after everything I do, and being an introvert, I fo find all this... exposure, draining. I wish I had more of a choice about when it struck but it's probably not a coincidence that it always gets me on the 2nd day! I think too, that there was a level of excitement that made it harder, imagine the stress I'm putting on myself to go out there because I love Wellington so much, but if I'm not ready then I guess it causes a sort of vicious cycle. Anyway, thank you for your kind words, I appreciate them. Best wishes, Hannah

      Delete

Feel free to leave me a comment!
(Remember to sign your name so I know who I'm talking to!)